Saturday, September 17, 2005

finding out that i'm probably not very good at my job

My legs hurt SO much from standing up for five hours at work today. You would have thought by now, i'd get used to it. Anyhoo, as the title of this post says, I am probably not very good at my job. In fact, one could go so far as to say that I personify the grumpy, frumpy, spaced-out checkout chick at work.

First of all, I don't really care what I look like at work, because its a supermarket - I wear the uniform right, and make sure my hair looks reasonably tidy, but that's about it. In contrast, I go into hyper dressy mode for uni; spending a LOT of the money I make on clothes. I think that most of the other employees make a lot more effort, i.e.: makeup!

I've given up on saying "Hi, how are you?". All I do now is a short "hi", because 40% of the people you greet with "hi, how are you?" ignore you, and you're left hanging! In the beginning, I was super enthusiastic, but soon realised that the general majority of people just want to pay for their groceries and go.

Today I rolled my eyes at one of supervisors when I thought he wasn't looking because he told me to do the same thing twice and I was like "you already told me explictly before, I get it okay!". But I think he saw me roll my eyes. But I don't really care.

Actually the people I work with aren't so bad. I think its the JOB that's the problem. The mind-numbing repetitiveness, the endless stream of customers, and the sense of 'you're-here-to-serve-me-what-do-you-mean-the-EFTPOS-isn't-working' feeling I get from customers that makes me sick.

I could get a new job. In fact, I am looking for one. But I don't know many other places that would take me for the limited hours I do (10hrs a week - one late night shift, and one 'its-still-dark-outside' early morning shift) I have put in a resume to some places, but no call backs!

like the compulsory music post#1, this post could be called obligatory work rant#1. keep checking back for part 2, cause by the way i'm going, there's definetly going to be a sequel!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heaps of places are looking for Xmas casuals atm Donna! DJs, Body Shop etc...

8:38 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I've been emailing, and emailing (I haven't seen many shop signs up and when you ask they tell you to email!) and no call backs thus far...oh, well keep you guys posted.

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Donna. I didn't know you had a blog until you sent the email saying your blog died! I've applied at the Post Office again for the Xmas period. It's just as mind-numbing but at least some of my uni friends are applying too. I think I'm going to quit with tutoring, it's good money but i think i'm better off working in an optom practice... since i'm doing optom and all:P Anyway, hope you're well and good luck with any mid-session exams you have!

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home