Monday, September 26, 2005

what sort of film student are you?!

I constantly ask myself this question. This is because I hardly watch films or tv, except in lectures and tutorials, and feel really uninformed about all aspects of film history.

This also makes conversations with fellow film students very hard. Let's cite some examples:
  • Random film student "You know that bit in Koyanaqaatsi/Requiem for a Dream/Mulholland Drive/Chungking Express ...?"
    Me: "Well, you know, I haven't gotten around to seeing that."
    Random Student: "Well yeah, its sorta like that!"
  • Sitting in the middle of this rave between Anna, Daren, James, and Mary about Arrested Development and the Simpsons and listening to people quote verbatim! Fascinating stuff.
  • Being really lost in any conversation about Australian Idol - but I did watch it last week cause Mary and Pippa were in the audience - I didn't see them though and I was SO hanging out for Mary's 'La Fawndah' sign!

    Also, am I the only one in the entire world who still hasn't seen Million Dollar Baby, and/or doesn't know the plot twist?!

    So what do I watch?
    Last movie: Gladiator (was ok, I kept on saying whoah! massive budget! while watching it, until my parents told me to shut up)
    Regular tv shows: the News (Desperate Housewives, Lost, Doctor Who when they were on)

    oh my goodness, I just realised that the only show I watch regularly is the NEWS!

    I suppose when you boil it all down, i'm just lazy. If I actually went and saw those films, watched tv, perhaps I would be better informed. I know that I know nothing.

    And i'm a film student for crying out loud!
  • 7 Comments:

    Blogger Donna said...

    Something I forgot in my original post but I found quite funny was that Dad suggested today that all my problems could be solved by watching the Andy Griffith Show.

    10:33 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Heh, my sister was at teh idol eviction show tonight. Reckons she's going to be on 'inside idol'. She'll be the one with the "D" from "DAN" on her shirt, wearing a pink veil and a tiara. (goes with their "MARRY ME" sign).

    Also, MDB rocks and you should definitely watch it. I'd lend you the dvd, cept i left it at Kylie's sleepover and haven't seen it since :S

    10:58 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And OH MY GOD WHY IS 'TESS OF THE D'URBERVILLES' IN YOUR FAV BOOK LIST?

    IT'S A MISTAKE RIGHT??!?!?!

    heh, no seriously, it nearly killed me that book.

    11:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree with Soph. Tess was terrible! My copy was constantly disintegrating in my hands!! After sticking one chunk of the book back into place, another chunk fell out!

    Yeh, MDB is still at my house. I haven't watched it yet either if it makes you feel any better Don. And worse, I have the means to too!

    Don't feel bad Donna. I'm even more pop culture illiterate than you are so it's all good. The only thing I'm somewhat in the know on is Desperate Housewives and that's because Chris downloaded all of season 1 and it's just conveniently sitting there on his computer for me to marathon. I just don't have the loyalty required for tuning in at the SAME TIME each week for regular tv.

    11:22 PM  
    Blogger Donna said...

    Hey, back away from Tess of the D'Urbervilles! I love Thomas Hardy, but I read Jude the Obscure a while ago and that's similarly depressing. Ok... that's my shameful secret... I actually LIKED Tess. So sue me.

    3:51 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i've seen mdb...but...there was a plot twist? where?

    12:19 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    HAHAHAHA! tess of the whatever the hell shouldnt be considered a book. its like one giant sedative.
    and be expecting a 'i am suing you letter' in the mail for liking it

    dont worry i dont watch many films or tv either. i dont do anything! but i like money and thats what im in production for - you know that.

    but you know im more like 'special effects'? 'computers'? yeah whatever...get lost. and thats why i dont watch films...

    5:49 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home