Wednesday, November 08, 2006

this is what happened today...

Today I caught a ride in an ambulance, watched one of my friends collapse, spent an afternoon in the emergency room..! And am now trying to do an essay because on top of all this, my computer has crashed (again!)

So me and Izzy were walking down Central tunnel, and Izzy because she hadn't slept all night doing her assignment, suddenly tells me that she needs to sit down. She sits, and I stay with her. She's feeling woozy and a little faint, but she seems ok, so I go and buy a juice for her, hoping that the orange juice will give her a bit of a sugar kick and she'll be alright!

I come back, tell her to sip the juice. And she does, but that doesn't seem to work. I try to get her to stand up, but she can't!

Three women stopped by, and were lovely, offering some advice. Izzy starts to lie down, eyes closed, and now I'm really starting to freak out.

Izzy tells me to call an ambulance, and I do. So I dial 000, and the operator runs me through the regular questions like name, age of patient, suburb (I have to admit I got stuck on the suburb one ... I kept on saying "Central" but in the back of my mind, I was thinking "Is Central a suburb? AAAHHH!" I wasn't thinking clearly, and was really panicked)

Then they hang up, and say an ambulance is on its way. And then because I was so scared, I mean Izzy was just lying there, clearly in pain, and I felt like I could not do anything to help her. I started crying, and probably freaked out Izzy even more!

Some people stopped by who were nice, the girl who works in the photo shop opposite Easy Way, and two trainee nurses from TAFE (bless TAFE), and they were better in figuring out what was wrong, and helped elevate her legs.

Then the paramedics came, and they ran Izz through some questions, got her to stand, and we walked down Central to the parked van, where they loaded her onto a stretcher, and then started to pump saline water into her arm.

I got to ride in an ambulance! But I didn't really enjoy it, I was still really freaked out.

We drove to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, got Izzy out of the van, and went to the emergency room. Izz was starting to become more lucid now, and I called her parents and her boyfriend Adam to get down here fast!

There weren't enough beds (the public health system is just terrible, and I don't care what you say, it needs SO much more money), and so we waited in line (Izz was still on a stretcher) for a while. Adam arrived, which cheered Izz up, and that was great.

Then she finally got a bed (lucky number 7), and her mum arrived. Most of her vitals were ok, except for her blood sugar which was low, and her blood pressure which was also low.

All the doctors, nurses, and paramedics kept on asking Izz the same questions ... are you pregnant? (Izz and I found this hilarious) ... tell me what year it is (checking for lucidity) ... and have you done a wee today?

Izz was dehydrated, and because she hadn't SLEPT! And she'd fainted before in the past two weeks! That's why it happened.

They had the HARDEST time getting blood out of the poor girl! Our doctor (who was hilarious - great bedside manner) jabbed Izz twice but the blood refused to flow to fill a whole tube! She commented that it was harder to get blood out of Izz than it was to get it from a baby!

After a while they got the big guns out - a rubber tourniquet and a butterfly needle, and that seemed to do the trick.

I had fun reading out Izz's medical reports - "Your sinus rhythm is 84 according to this ECG".

Izz got to wear a hospital gown ... except nowadays they allow you to keep your pants on so you don't flash everybody!

It started to get late, mum was ringing my phone, and Izz was starting to nod off, so I left her in the best of hands with her mum and Adam.

It's so weird. I was procrastinating, chatting with friends, and said to Izz earlier that day, that I'd wait for her while she was fixing up stuff before she handed in her assignment, and we'd walk to Central together.

That was weird for me, because usually I'm like "Ok, essay due in two days. Do it, now!" So if there was ever an argument for procrastinating, that's it!

Argh, Izz is gonna call me when she's out of the hospital ... yay! I'm sure she's fine though ... get better soon, and don't ever pull a stunt like that again!

***UPDATE***
Izz is fine and got out of hospital! She gave me a call, which was sweet. Now real life resumes (i.e: essay time)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey soph ... I thought you were meant to be studying! :) I'm glad Izz is ok too! So relieved now.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!

....

OMG!

Damn! I cannot believe that happened! U pooor thing! Poor Izzy!

....but, that is an excuse for a late essay hand-in if ever i heard one!!!!

teacher: where's ur essay?

donna: well its gonna be a little late u see my friend collasped in the central tunnel.....and she may be pregnant!!!

LOL

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home