parental pity and gentle encouragement
Yeah, I thought it couldn't get any worse too.
My parents are slowly letting it be known that they are concerned that I don't have a boyfriend. I believe it is supposed to be the other way round, yes? Aren't my parents supposed to not want me date until i'm 50?
Anyways, here are some key quotes:
Mum: ...it was ok (being single) when you were in high school because you had to do your HSC ... but now ... well ...
Translation: You're a bit of a loser. Pull up your socks!
Dad: (out of the blue) There are some nice Chinese boys that play golf down at the local course ...
Mum: Once you get married *sigh* I won't have to look after you anymore! I can go on a holiday, do some gardening ...
Yeah, I didn't know I was such a burden
Dad: I think you'd be a great mum!
Translation: I want grandchildren. (This one scared me a lot)
In my defence, I explain to them that it's not just happening to me! This is a phenomenon that is happening to ALL my friends, both from high school AND in uni. I don't know what's in the water, but we'll all end up spinsters/bachelors/quirkyalones with large debts we can't fob off to our children when we pass away. Sigh.
My parents are slowly letting it be known that they are concerned that I don't have a boyfriend. I believe it is supposed to be the other way round, yes? Aren't my parents supposed to not want me date until i'm 50?
Anyways, here are some key quotes:
Mum: ...it was ok (being single) when you were in high school because you had to do your HSC ... but now ... well ...
Translation: You're a bit of a loser. Pull up your socks!
Dad: (out of the blue) There are some nice Chinese boys that play golf down at the local course ...
Mum: Once you get married *sigh* I won't have to look after you anymore! I can go on a holiday, do some gardening ...
Yeah, I didn't know I was such a burden
Dad: I think you'd be a great mum!
Translation: I want grandchildren. (This one scared me a lot)
In my defence, I explain to them that it's not just happening to me! This is a phenomenon that is happening to ALL my friends, both from high school AND in uni. I don't know what's in the water, but we'll all end up spinsters/bachelors/quirkyalones with large debts we can't fob off to our children when we pass away. Sigh.

10 Comments:
OMG thats almost mean...
but i think that we should make peace with it now and get cats instead. maybe pussycats...
haha that's so funny. So it's not just my parents who are hinting:P
My mum came to me and said out of the blue 'You know.. so-and-so? She's worried that her daughter doesn't have a boyfriend yet.' I just stared at her and asked 'Your point?' to which she replied 'oh no there's no point, i just thought that was interesting' Suuurreee mum, that was real subtle.
lol.. remember Laura's Bad Movie Day and to our dismay, we discovered so many other girls in our grade had boyfriends and we don't? i think we all have really good friends who are boys BUT they're either attached OR they're single but there's just no ' gosh..he's cute.. i wish we could be together' thing happening.. i still think when the time comes, it 'll happen.. i'm imagining one of us suddenly going.. 'hey i have a new bf' and all of us going.. 'me too' sometime in the future =)
love you donna
p.s my mum and dad coming into my room one day and declaring that '25 is such a good age to get married and maybe when u're 26 27, 28..you can start having kids?'
that's only 6 years away.. lol.. that's scary! =P
Omg! Donna, my _dad_ asked me if I wanted to go to one of his work things so could meet some of the engineers that he works with. My _dad_ ...the man who threatened to greet boyfriends whilst sharpening a knife!! Call me crazy, and I'm sorry that I'm confused, but how do parents expect their daughters to go to and all-girl school, never associate with boys and then all of a sudden get a boyfriend in uni??????????
I don't get boyfriend jibes from my parents, only from my sister!
I know you're reading this Emily!
No, i'm not a lesbian, and no, i won't be living in the spare room in your soon-to-be-house when i'm 40! :p
i read somewhere that the sure-fire way to find bfs is simple...
lower your standards!
eew!
I bet my parents are real glad I don't have a bf. *bitter*
Donna. No one's good enough for us, remember? Don't settle for second best!
My mum is exactly the same. The other night when I wanted to go out she said "I wish you had a bf that way if you went out he would be there and if he loved you he would drive you home too!" As soon as I get one it will be "Your spending too much time together, why don't you go out on your own!"
It's a no win situation. Oh and whenever there is someone slightly interested she immeadiately starts talking about marriage and kids...stop scaring me mum!
Lol, I'm getting that quite a bit aswell. The whole family's convinced that I'm going to end up as a spinster. According to Grandma, I'm a family tragedy in the making!
It was really scary when I caught her talking to Mum about my single status and plans to work overseas and ordering Mum to find me a boyfriend so that I'd be tied down with commitments and therefore won't even consider the possibility of heading outside of the state, much less the country!
Mum also pointedly told Chris (in front of me) to take me to his church on Sundays to meet some good, clean, wholesome Asian boys. Thanks for the concern, Mum, but...ewww!
Post a Comment
<< Home