Tuesday, July 31, 2007

why film? and the first day of uni

First day of uni had Cross-Media Production, which was pretty good - better than expected given that I haven't really thought about new media at all during my degree. I got quite hyped about making a website for 'Operation Babylift' - the doco on Vietnam babies airlifted to Australia during the Vietnam War. Yes, me. Yes, hyped about making a website.

Plus all the usual suspects are in my class - Anna, Luci, Iz, Mary & Gwen. Looks like a fun semester!

***

Wanted to do a bit of spiel about why I'm in or trying to be in film because I was thinking the other day that I don't actually quite know how I got here. Well no, I know how I GOT here, but the reasons don't seem to be that great:
  • I liked Humanities in high school, but thought being a journo would be boring.
  • Was in a pretty disastrous film club in high school - people were great but we all weren't really committed - and it gave me a bit of a taste about film. Still not quite sure why I wanted to pursue it from that.
  • Wanted to go to UTS after doing the Executive Shadowing program, shadowing one of the course coordinators at Sydney Uni's Media and Communications course, and thinking the course was not that great (I didn't get the UAI anyway).
  • So, I then went through all the UTS humanities courses and by process of elimination got to MAP.
  • Did not consult my parents, who would have tried to get me to do commerce anyway.
  • Was actually trying to get into MAP/LAW, thinking that I would probably end up a lawyer, if the MAP thing didn't pan out. But yet again, didn't get the UAI.

    When I was little to about 16, I seriously thought I wanted to be a lawyer. The main reason? The cash, baby! (Hey, Kerry Stokes' lawyer in the recent C7 case got paid $20,000 a DAY. It is a good dream to have) So, instead I chose creativity and poverty!

    I'm currently reading the Peter Jackson biography and the man spent every spare second he had growing up doing film on his parent's Super 8 camera! I was SO not like that. Any major interest in film has been three years tops. When I got into the course, I guess that's when I tried to pursue it seriously since I'm studying the damn thing for three (now four) years.

    I think I was right about not doing journalism though, since I've seen what they do at the ABC. 'Tis high turnover of content, not as creative, and much stress!

    I'm not sure where from now I want to go though. I think this film thing will probably stick, but you never know what will happen. I'd settle for a handsome, rich stranger whisking me off to his villa in Tuscany where we could be famous, eccentric writers for the rest of our lives.

    ***

    Although I am SO anti-myspace, I joined because it's the only way a theatre/film group in Sydney communicates. I was SO reluctant in joining and I'm not really looking to be on there unless I have too - but apparently I can't participate and receive bulletins unless I have a myspace. I'm not "friending" any of you on myspace - don't ask - I intend to be on there as little as possible. I "unfriended" Tom too.
  • 3 Comments:

    Blogger Sophia Chong said...

    there was film group in high school?

    11:58 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Run by Ms Cotton!

    9:01 PM  
    Blogger LJ said...

    you really really really were lucky not to have stumbled into map/law

    law sucks like the dregs of off milk.

    and if you've seen what law students are like, it will put you off from been a lawyer simply because you do not want to have to be around people like them for 70 hours a week.

    12:32 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home