Sunday, March 11, 2007

Kazbah, Beachball, Ella

Rock the Kazbah!
WE ATE SO MUCH. For Soph's 20th brunch we went to Kazbah on Darling in Balmain for their set menu breakfast. The waiter looked at us seven girls sceptically "It's a lot, do you think you can eat it all?" Well, we would try ... and it turned into some sort of endurance event! It's good value too...for groups of 8 or more, it's $20 per/person

SWEET STARTERS
  • Sweet Couscous, Mixed Nuts, Dried Fruit, Stewed Rhubarb, Cardamom Milk
  • Warm Rice Pudding, Saffron Poached Pear, Hazelnuts
  • Date and Banana Porridge, Stewed Rhubarb
    All were yum, sweet and perfect breakfast food. Loved the couscous, and I hardly get to ever have it at home because my parents hate the stuff.
    Then came...
    DELICIOUS, BUTTERY, GREASY MAINS
  • Eggs Poached, Fried and Scrambled, Turkish Toast
  • Tagine with Lamb Mince, Sucuk, Feta, Spinach, Capsicum, Caramelised Onion, Tomato, Eggs
  • Tagine with Pumpkin, Feta, Spinach, Capsicum, Caramelised Onion, Tomato, Eggs
  • Platter with Bacon, Chorizo sausage (I'm guessing?), Fried tomato, Fried feta cheese, Potato hash, Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Baby spinach.
    We were stuffed. I haven't had bacon in AGES, but I scoffed down so much, I'm ashamed. It was SO good. We were groaning at the end ... many of us, like Laura, had to stop and rest for 15 minutes before tackling more food. ...And there were still the pancakes to come!
    DESSERT PANCAKES
  • Strawberry Pancake, Double Cream, Maple Syrup
  • Chocolate & Raspberry Pancake, Butterscotch Sauce, Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream
    These things were MASSIVE. Literally cakes cooked with pancake batter in a deep pan! We had to get these takeaway, we couldn't eat anymore. We had spent 3 1/2 hours there! I had to ring home and tell Mum not to cook anything for me for dinner, I was that full.

    Beachball 2007
    Last Thursday night, everything hurt. I had been at the gym earlier that day, and I guess going out drinking and dancing wasn't exactly the best thing.

    The trick when you go dancing is to get a bit tipsy beforehand, so me and Soph shared and finished half a bottle of cheap, nasty, no-label chardonnay from Sydney Uni each within the first hour.

    Then we went to the Purple Sneakers level, which was awesome because they played Bloc Party (who incidentally we are planning to go see when they tour here in August), Kaiser Chiefs etc. I have yet to drag myself to Purple Sneakers at the Abercrombie, but my friends assure me it's very good, and I'm intrigued.

    Then we went to the House floor, and that was really energetic, with a lot more people there...but with a few odd incidents like this guy who kept touching my hand, which I found a little disturbing, and trying to speak to me but it was too loud.

    THEN there was another guy who was trying to dance with me, although I was a little oblivious to him - it was so packed - so you were basically dancing with everyone. Rena and Soph saved me from him ... and then he started to FOLLOW us from the dancefloor. Argh! We did eventually lose him though when we headed upstairs.

    Then it was getting late, so we thought we might go back to Sydney Uni Village - where all our stuff was at a friend's house. Then we discovered my big toe was covered in blood! I didn't even feel it happen. Luckily the friend who lives at the SUV house had a St John's First Aid Kit and cleaned me up.

    Then we went and got kebabs because we were hungry. And then we caught the nightride home, which is surprisingly efficient. There was this guy on the bus though who blatantly picked his nose...you know, you want to tell them to stop, but it's not really your place.

    My legs absolutely killed at the end of the night, but I'm planning to build strength back in them (I had great endurance when I was a checkout chick) through more regular gym sessions.


    Ella, my 19-year-old car, miraculously, incredibly PASSED her pink slip inspection! One more year, whoo!
  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger Kylie said...

    Wonderful post Donna. Love the colours!

    Ella deserves a big pat on the back for a job well done...or the car-equivalent of one umm good quality car coolant?

    9:03 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home