bloc party @ the Hordern
Really excellent concert, shame it's at the Hordern. Story of all my concert-going experiences at the Hordern.
Johanna and I had a great spot in front of all these short people, relatively close to the front at the beginning. Midnight Juggernauts supported, were ok.
THEN this girl collapsed in front of us, eyes wide open - she had taken something. Some guy picked her up, and the crowd parted to let them get out. I remember her eyes as he carried her out - pupils dilated, eyes open but it was obvious that she couldn't see anything. I think I'll remember her eyes for a long time.
Scary. Kids, don't do drugs. Hope she's ok.
Bloc Party hadn't come on stage, but when they did, the crowd surged, especially when they started Song for Clay. You wouldn't think that Bloc Party was that aggressive, but it was a bit of a nasty mosh, so Johanna and I got out of the front and went to the back a bit where we could see better and we got a bit more air!
It was a bit of a messy crowd - I could smell vomit really close to where I was (ugh), pot, and there were this crowd of guys close to us who were also on something and yelled themselves hoarse throughout SXRT (which is a very slow, quiet sort of song). People were pushing away from them cause they were idiots and spoiling the friggin concert for the rest of us!
I'd only been listening to their newest album, but when they did their old stuff I remembered how good it was. Never been much of a fan of So Here We Are, but live it worked really well. Another favourite was Uniform - I love their songs which have a slow build, then get more and more intense.
The three-song encore was The Prayer (I think), Helicopter - Kele got the crowd on side, announcing "Saturday night is for dancing" before launching into it, and finally ending with Sunday.
I miss the Metro. I love all the concerts there, just cause they're so intimate, everyone can see everything, and everyone has a good time. Often NOT a messy crowd, everyone is very respectful. Bring the good bands back to the Metro!
Johanna and I had a great spot in front of all these short people, relatively close to the front at the beginning. Midnight Juggernauts supported, were ok.
THEN this girl collapsed in front of us, eyes wide open - she had taken something. Some guy picked her up, and the crowd parted to let them get out. I remember her eyes as he carried her out - pupils dilated, eyes open but it was obvious that she couldn't see anything. I think I'll remember her eyes for a long time.
Scary. Kids, don't do drugs. Hope she's ok.
Bloc Party hadn't come on stage, but when they did, the crowd surged, especially when they started Song for Clay. You wouldn't think that Bloc Party was that aggressive, but it was a bit of a nasty mosh, so Johanna and I got out of the front and went to the back a bit where we could see better and we got a bit more air!
It was a bit of a messy crowd - I could smell vomit really close to where I was (ugh), pot, and there were this crowd of guys close to us who were also on something and yelled themselves hoarse throughout SXRT (which is a very slow, quiet sort of song). People were pushing away from them cause they were idiots and spoiling the friggin concert for the rest of us!
I'd only been listening to their newest album, but when they did their old stuff I remembered how good it was. Never been much of a fan of So Here We Are, but live it worked really well. Another favourite was Uniform - I love their songs which have a slow build, then get more and more intense.
The three-song encore was The Prayer (I think), Helicopter - Kele got the crowd on side, announcing "Saturday night is for dancing" before launching into it, and finally ending with Sunday.
I miss the Metro. I love all the concerts there, just cause they're so intimate, everyone can see everything, and everyone has a good time. Often NOT a messy crowd, everyone is very respectful. Bring the good bands back to the Metro!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home